Sunday, November 2, 2014

Day Two and 14,096 words so far

This morning I got up and wrote three hours before church.
I went to church and taught the little kids in Sunday School. Sometimes I get to substitute when there is no teacher for the little one.
Then I came home and wrote three more hours.

Here is an excerpt from Chapter 5: The Arrangement.


They ordered breakfast and visited like old friends. Henry telling all about the cabin they were building and his need to come to town today to get supplies. Molly nodded from time to time smiling at Henry.   As they were finishing up Spencer and Cynthia Spivey came down for breakfast. Nate started to get up to leave when Spencer stood and spoke to him.

“Mr. Hobbs. It is good to see you again. Have I introduced you to my sister?”

Nate turned and took his hat off. He looked at Cynthia and said, “No you haven’t’.”

“This is my sister Cynthia Spivey. Cynthia , this is Mr. Hobbs.”

Nate stuck his hand out, “Please call me Nate.”

Cynthia did not say anything but she took his hand and nodded her head.

“She is a bit shy,” Spenc said.

“Nice to meet you,” Nate said. He turned to walk away when Spence began to speak.

“Mr. Hobbs, I have a proposition for you.”

Curious Nate turned to Spence. “What would that be,” he asked.

“Please sit and discuss it with us while we eat breakfast.”

Nate sat and they ordered before Spence started talking again.

“I understand that you’re not married. My sister and I have quite a problem.”

“I’m not sure how I can help you,” Nate said.

“Quite frankly, my sister needs a husband.”

Nate was tipped back in his chair waiting for the conversation to unfold. He almost tipped over backwards at those words.

“What?” Nate set his chair upright.

“Mr. Hobbs, my sister needs a husband. I am leaving with the Army tomorrow and I have not been able to find my sister a husband. Our father died last month and his will states that she cannot inherit her land without a husband. I thought you might be interested because her land joins your land. The land you just bought. Hers is on the other side of the river and runs along the same path.” Spence spoke quickly before Nate could leave.

“I am not looking for a wife,” Nate said. I’m still grieving for Alice, he thought.

“I understand that, but were in a real bind here. It would be a good arrangement for both of you. You will be gone for a year and that will give you plenty of time to adjust to a marriage. Cynthia is a hard worker and she wants to keep her land. Think about it for a few minutes and drink your coffee.” Spence was pushing hard but he knew he had to give Nate a few minutes.

They ate breakfast and to Nate’s surprise he started thinking about the benefits of an arranged marriage. Even one this fast.

He would have someone to protect his interest and there were the mules to take care of and… Yes this would work out, Nate thought.

He looked at Cynthia. She’s so plain, the thought. I wouldn’t have to worry about someone wanting to carry her off. She’ll still be here when I get back.

“Ok,” Nate said.

Cynthia’s head jerked up looking at him directly.

“I want children,” she said. “I want to keep my land in my name.”

Nate stuck his hand out. “Done.”

She shook his hand out and he said, “When you finish breakfast we will ask where the parson lives.”

Spence stood up and said, “Cynthia, you didn’t need me. Not one bit. You made a good bargain Sis.”

1 comment:

  1. Wow an arranged marriage, I didn't see that coming. That could definitely make things interesting for Nate. Great job with the word count Rosa, keep it coming! :)

    ReplyDelete